Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Facebook anxiety

My newest anxiety-inducing issue is my latest Facebook friend. I logged on to find a request from a woman at work. We are friendly, and I like interacting with her at work, but we have never had any contact outside of work. The way she found me was obviously through another coworker who is on my friends list. I probably should have drawn the line at them as well, but it's different. T and I are friends outside of work. Well, technically we've never hung out, but we talk on the phone all the time and we have a relationship that is not strictly about work. So when he got Facebook, I friended him. Then we were talking about it and another coworker, one of our lunch buddies, mentioned that she was Facebook too, so when she found me I friended her. I don't really have an out of work friendship with her, but we are lunch buddies. Now the newest friending happened and I feel weird about it. Based on having two other coworkers on there, I felt I couldn't defend a refusal. And I like her, so there's really no reason to refuse. But her position at work, while not actually above me, is one that makes me nervous about her seeing my private life online. Not that I have a real crazy private life. It's just the principal, I guess. And it's too late to worry about now. Ahh, the internet and the tangled webs it makes us weave.

I have a lot of anxiety these days in general, I guess it's good to have a new way to focus it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now imagine how I feel with my mother in law and sister in law as my facebook friends. But... you can remove someone as your friend on facebook, and they aren't notified, you're just not on their friend list anymore. Wait a few days and remove them, if they notice it blame the stupid computer, like I always do. If not... you're in the clear.