Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Don't talk politics with me...

I have this friend that always dishes it out, yet can never take it. He's a work friend, but he's more than that too. We connect really well, and I love him to death. But this habit of his makes me mean somedays.

The problem stems from the fact that we have differing political opinions. At least in theory. I mean, in name he calls himself a Republican. This is a problem for me, as I am seriously liberal. Though you'll notice that I don't say Democrat. He chooses "Republican" as a label, over "conservative." This is something that came up early in our friendship. We've known each other about a year now. Lately, when I mention to someone that he is "Republican" he says something like, "I don't label myself." But he had no problem doing so when we first met. Now, with the election, and the general hatred of W., (not to mention the fact that he has admitted to me he would not vote for W. in hindsight) he suddenly doesn't like labels. Ahem.

(As an aside, the reason I ever tell people about his political leanings at all is when they wonder why two people who are essentially attached at the hip are suddenly arguing. We are famous for being a twosome at work, and I think our political differences will soon be famous as well.)

So on certain days T (that's his name for now) will decide that he wants to antagonize A (that's me). He will make a jab that has nothing to do with the current conversation. For example, when teasing him about asking me to show him how to do something on the computer for the third time, he will respond with, "Those Democrats, always holding a grudge." My natural response is, "We wouldn't have anything to hoild a grudge about if not for the Republicans' antics." His response to that is to roll his eyes, take a deep breath, and act overly offended that I am "always attacking him." Yeah.

So, ignoring the fact that he always refers to me as a Democrat, which I have told him is really not the case, it also annoys me that he starts a fight he can't finish. I'll be the first to admit that I don't like my beliefs maligned. I believe things for a reason, as I've already blogged about. So of course I will defend myself. And I will do it every time I am poked. I finally had that talk with him today, so we'll how how it goes...

No comments: