Thursday, October 30, 2008

the power of bumper stickers

I have finally figured out the reason that I don't have any bumper stickers. I just don't have the energy for it. I think of getting them all the time when I see good ones, but I don't think I could handle the responsibility.

When I see a bumper sticker on a car, I take it pretty seriously. I form an opinion of the person driving the car based on the bumper sticker. Think about it: the person had to feel strongly enough about whatever the message is to go buy that bumper sticker and physically put it on their car. So it must reflect on them. I see a McCain-Palin sticker or, even worse, one that says "I (heart)^ Sarah" **shudders** - I form an opinion. And it's not a good one. I want to look at the car and the person in it. Are they well-off? Do they look evil? Do they care that they are driving a gas guzzling H3 down a freeway in a city, wasting resources just because they can?? Ahem.^^

On the other hand, if I see a cool one -
Aslan is on the move
If you're against abortion don't have one
Obama for change
Coexist (which is made up of various religious symbols I can't get on here)
Ankh if you love Isis
-then I feel connected to that person. I try to catch their eye to show my appreciation for their groovy ways. But then I'm sure they think my smile is creepy, because they are probably not thinking every second they are driving about the bumper sticker they bought. And I would be. I would be waiting for reactions from other drivers. Which is why I cannot handle the responsibility of a bumper sticker.

I maybe shouldn't have the responsibility of driving and reading them either. Because if I see one more sticker that says something like "Marriage = (man stick figure) + (woman stick figure)"
I just might ram the car. #

^ It's supposed to be a heart symbol but, again, I'm having a symbol issue.

^^ I know some people might react negatively to my political views. But I don't care. If you are seriously voting for that women, you are beyond saving anyway.

#It's interesting to note that in wingdings I can get a man figure, but not a woman. So I could depict gay marriage. But seriously, how does the possibility of two men (or women) living happily together in marriage sully the whole institution, if Britney doesn't? What business of your is it anyway? And if you are married, and you think someone else's marriage may effect yours, maybe yours isn't so great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you read the whole study that was done on people that have bumper stickers on their cars? Apparently, it's an aggression issue... like they're way too territorial with their possessions, and that makes them aggressive. I never saw you that way...

I, for one, also see bumper stickers as a glimpse into someone's life. All the time I catch myself riding someone's bumper, trying to read one that's printed way too small. I don't have any, mainly because I haven't really found one that expresses me in a nutshell... but I'm still looking.

Truth-Monkey said...

That's funny. Maybe my groovyness is the reason I don't have any bumperstickers. :)

I also like ride bumpers. Hee hee.

Nicholas said...

If in fact there is something to this territoriality theory then it makes my lone bumper sticker even more delightfully ironic. It is the "Pardon me, I was raised by wolves" one that I got when Nikkie and I were there.