Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sharing

I had a really great moment with a coworker today. I was sharing an anecdote related to Native American wisdom (long story, but maybe I'll tell you later) and in context I had to mention my first husband, which led to questions, of course. Before I know it, I'm spilling my guts about A to this coworker. Of course, I've had him on my mind a lot lately, even more than usual, because of the memoir I'm working on. But it's been a while since I spilled like that to anyone but N.

I've always liked this coworker, and I think we get along well. But this level of sharing was unexpected. She cried. Not sobbing or anything, but there were tears. It felt really good. It made me realize that the sharing really is cathartic, and I want to do it more. I'm really hoping to continue writing this memoir until it's finished, and not just until the end of the class, which is more my usual style.

Speaking of sharing, I finally announced to the world (or my very small piece of it) that this blog was here. I only got one comment here (thanks to comebacknikki!) but I got a few email comments too. A friend from many moons ago left me a note and shared that she was in a new and good relationship, and that is awesome. I'm super happy for her, and for the fact that we found each other again. We were elementary school friends and it went into high school, but we sort of lost touch. I'm sure I turned into a crappy friend. Anyway, we had been close. And I had been close to her mom as well, who passed away when we were young and I still miss. So I think the interneet, for all its many evils, provides a lot of smiles with sharing and reconnecting.

That's my cheesy soapbox for the day. Go forth, and share with old friends and new...

No comments: