Monday, March 23, 2009

bloggers

I don't friend anyone on Myspace or Facebook unless I've known you in real life. It's not like I'm scared of strangers of anything, but it's hard enough getting to re-know people on such a limiting scale as a social networking site. Getting to know a new person would feel overwhelming.

On a similar note, I don't usually read someone's blog unless I know them. I think it's interesting what people write about, so even if you know them, they might surprise you. But if I don't knw you at all, it's hard to get interested in the inner workings of your life. But I have two exceptions to the blog reading rule. One is an author, Jonathan Carroll, whose books are really great. I fond out he had a blog too and have been following it for some time. He quotes people a lot, or his own works, but sometimes he writes really random passages about his daily observations, and it's clear why he writes for a living.

The other exception is the ferrett. One of my friends pointed him out to me and I've been reading him for a while. Often he cracks me up, and then sometimes I totally disagree with him. But he's rarely boring. I feel like I know him. More than that, if he had gone to Ripon, he'd have been a Tau. That's a compliment, at least from me. :) So the other day he asked for comments and I said hello for the first time. I don't expect him to show up here, as has millions of friends and my blog is no big deal. But maybe I can turn more people onto reading him.

2 comments:

~AD said...

Wait a minute! Ripon, as in Ripon College?! In Ripon, Wisconsin? Home of the Rippin' Good Cookie Factory?

Is that how you know comebacknikki? Because way back when/back in the day, she and I lived on the same floor in Tri-dorms! I was only there for a semester, but I have good memories (and not-so-good pictures).

What a small world, eh?

Truth-Monkey said...

Yeah, you know me. We went to Mormon church together (the few times I actually went. I'm sure I'm in some of your not good pictures.