Sunday, August 9, 2009

long ago

Tonight I finally got around to checking my Facebook for the first time in almost two weeks. And I have an out-of-left-field e-mail from a friend. (Recently they put "frenemy" in the dictionary, and I would say he's the only person in my life I would use that word to describe. But not today, because he showed some vulnerability, so he deserves to be called friend.) So yeah, he wrote to me in a time of need, which sort of blew me away. Not to mention bringing up drama memories from my past. It threw me off, but it also reminded me that my life is bigger than the every day. It's easy to get so caught up with N, and work, and the friends we see on a regular basis, and forget all the other friends and experiences I've had. It's good to get an injection of your past sometimes. I'm glad to realize my life hasn't always been so small and contained. And glad that it is that way now. You can only handle all that drama for so long. Anyway, I responded to the friend, and I hope my response was worthy. What else can you do but be there when someone asks?

3 comments:

comebacknikki said...

I'm not completely sure what to say, but I feel like I should say something... I've been in your position before & I wasn't quite sure how to deal with it. In fact, I'm currently in the middle of one of these weird situations - ex best friend sent me on friend request on facebook and we're now tentatively communicating. There's nothing she wants from me, other than to have contact, but it's so hard to leave all of the drama in the past (well, I've left it in that past and am afraid to get caught up in it again). Friendships are such fragile things.

Biddie said...

I have a couple of frenemies on facebook, too. One actually added me as a friend, which blew me away because we had a fight in highschool that landed her in the hospital.
I guess that time does heal all wounds because she told me some incredibly personal things. I 'chat' with her via facebook now and again, and it's a nice thing.
I like revisiting my past too, it helps me to see how far I have come.
I think that you did the right thing, with your friend. I would hate to turn away someone that was really in need.

Truth-Monkey said...

Thanks for the comments! Yes, friendships are fragile. Sadly so. I never know when to zig or zag, but I go with my instincts and I usually do okay. Oddly, another person that was involved with this particular drama found me on Facebook today. The universe is strange.