Monday, June 15, 2009

home from vacation

Last week we were on a cruise in Alaska, and today I am back at work and I want to go back!! Alaska is so beautiful. I know in the winter it gets harsh, but I could see myself living there May-October.

I always rant about people not knowing what Minnesota is really like - thinking it's a frozen tundra or something. And I guess that's true about everywhere - I mean, you don't know what a place is like until you've actually been there. And Alaska was different than what I had pictured. It was very green and the sun was out (for 18 hours a day) and we had wonderful weather while we were there- 60s and 70s, which is perfect for me. And we saw some beautiful scenery - fjords, and glaciers and icebergs. And I saw a pod of Orca whales, which was incredible. We really loved it.

We also saw a bit of Seattle, as we had time on the last day and one of my friends from college lives there. He and his partner showed us around. I'd like to spend more time there too. Also, I got to go up in the Space Needle, and I bought a copy of The Wheedle on the Needle, which was one of my favorite kids books. N was surprised they had it, but I said of course the gift shop at the Needle woud have it! Yay!

More later, but I need to work now (booo...)

2 comments:

Biddie said...

It sounds like you had a whale of a time! Yay, that was cheesey :)
I know what you mean about people not knowing about a certain place.
When I lived in Nova Scotia, I did NOT live in a lighthouse, own a boat, or even hip waders. Lol.

~AD said...

There will be pictures, of course?

Glad you had a good time--I LOVE Seattle!