Monday, April 27, 2009

scrapbooking and knitting

On Saturday my friend C and I sat in my church with a bunch of other ladies and worked on our scrapbooks, for over nine hours!! The event was scheduled 9-9, and I didn't think we'd stay so long. We showed up at about 1130, most of the ladies were already dug in. There was lunch and dinner provided, which was excellent - N wasn't kidding when he told me Lutherans are all about food. So C and I talked and scrapbbooked, and before we knew it, it was 9pm and we were all packing up to go. It was a blast. I got a whole scrapbook done of the trip N and I took to South Dakota last August. Yay!

Also, C said she'd teach my to crochet. My mom tried to teach me to knit a few visits ago and it didn't stick. But I do want to do something like that. The thing is, all I do is read. And there's noting wrong with that - I love reading and I plan to keep it up. But you don't have anything to show for it after reading a bunch of books, and I'd like to have some sort of productive hobby. Scrapbooking doesn't count either, because I only really do it for our trips, and I don't plan on getting really intense about it. It can be a really expensive, time-consuming habit. And I saw some beautiful things on Saturday, which I really respect. But for me it's just a neat way to combine our trip pictures with all the silly stuff I save along the way. So I like to be a little creative with it, but I won't be getting quite that into it. Knitting or crocheting would be fun, if I could ever catch on.

Actually, I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club. It made me want to knit, definitely, but it also made me want to write. Because I think I could do at least that good of a job. I mean, it had some interesting characters, who now and then had some interesting things to say, but overall the plot was trite and the story a bit contrived. And the writing was far less than exceptional. If that's all it takes to get published, then surely I could do it. It's frustrating to me that I haven't done it yet.

No comments: