Wednesday, April 29, 2009

unpatriotic

The other day I commented on fellow blogger Amber's post (and I knew her briefly in college - weird!) and I have been thinking I should make my own post about it. Her post was about how she's conservative in a censervative-bashing time, and she listed some beliefs. I would agree that it's probably difficult to have conservative views at this particular time, and as a person with liberal views I can say that I honestly appreciate someone who can defend her beliefs in an intelligent manner, no matter which way she leans.

What I felt the need to comment on was her belief that the flag should not be burned or mistreated in any way because people died for it, and that burning it was not free speech. And I disagree. Burning the flag has to be considered free speech. The people who fought and died for our freedom, whatever that means, did it for the country and what it stands for, not for the flag. The flag is just a symbol, and giving more power to the symbol than to that which it represents is a mistake, in my opinion. If I am not allowed to express myself by saying anything negative about my country, then I do not have real freedom of expression. Burning the flag may upset people, but we can't filter what it allowed to be expressed that way. Where would we draw the line?

There are a lot of things people say and I that I do not agree with. But I, like Voltaire, will defend that person's right to say it. Where I draw the line is at hurting someone else, and I don't mean hurting feelings. Yes, there is some importance in courtesy and thoughtfulness in dealing with people, which I try to practice. But tact is one thing, and rights are another. I would be very angry to hear someone yelling slurs at a gay person walking down the street, or rallying against them in a campaign. But they have a right to do that. They do not have the right to physically assault a person due to sexual orientation (or any other reason). I think it's a pretty clear line. Burning the flag may upset someone, but it doesn't hurt anyone.

I think it's hard to remember that people of the opposite opinion have just as much right to express it as you do, but I also think it's important. And sometimes it works in your favor. Part of the reason my President is in office is that Palin was allowed to express any and every stupid thought that came into her head. Good for her, and good for me.

Also, what is this deal with people saying that people fought and died for the flag, or the country, or whatever? I know a lot of people in the military right now, many of who have been deployed in the last few years, some multiple times, due to this fiasco we're currently engaged in. And I can tell you that most of them are not there to "fight and die" for anything. There are many reasons people join the military; they need some direction, they need to pay for college. they want to travel. And then sometimes you end up in a war. I'm willing to bet that the majority of men that fought in all our previous wars had similar reasons. Not to mention that many of them were drafted. I'm sure some people go in with big dreams of defending their country, but I think most people just end up there.

I'm not anti-military, but I'm also not a big fan. I guess I'm thankful in the sense that I'm glad someone is willing to do it, since I wouldn't be, but that's as far as it goes. There are people who are happy I'm willing to take care of theoir mom or dad in old age, because they are not willing to, but that doesn't make me a hero. I support the military in wanting them to come home safely to their friends and families, but I don't support what they are doing. And again, for most of them, they have no choice. Once you're in, you do what the job requires.

I know people will think I am unpatriotic. I'm sure Bush and his cronies would like to find people like me and root us out. The thing is, I am very grateful to live in a country where I can be free to have an opinion about my government, where there are ample resources and potable water. I am grateful that my lot in life was to be born here, and I feel blessed. But I don't feel proud. I don't feel like that's an appropriate emotion. And even though there are many wonderful things about living here, there are definitely some things that the government has done that I am specifically not proud of. Patriotism is not a good enough reason to censor people. If you want to really pay people back who "fought for the flag," then allow it to be used in the service of fully expressing the right that it represents.

No comments: