Wednesday, May 27, 2009

weather woes

Why does everybody complain about the weather? Do we have nothing better to do with our time?

I live in MN, which people normally believe to be a frozen tundra. Maybe at the northern end of the state, up by Canada, it's different than it is here. I live in the twin cities metro area. We have a winter, yes. But we also have spring, summer and fall. It is no colder or snowier here than in any other state that has a winter. And in the summer, it's just as hot as anywhere else. Okay, I just needed to get that off my chest.

I like it here. I like winter, because I like all the seasons. If I lved in Florida or Arizona or California, I'd probably kill myself. I need variety. And I hate it that people complain about being cold all winter, just to bitch the first day it hits 80 that it's too damn hot. And then, after a few days of 80 we get a cloudy day of 69 (today), they say "We went from Summer back to fall!" It's actually spring, moron, and this is perfectly acceptable spring weather! Stop whining!!

Alice Walker wrote, "I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. " And I agree with that. I try to notice as much as I can. And I also think it pisses God off if you are constantly complaining about the weather. If it rains on your wedding day, that's one thing. Or if your beloved baseball team is stupid enough to bulid an open air stadium in MN and you end up missing a game due to rain. (It doesn't happen until next season, but I'm already bitter.) My point is, there are exceptions. But complaing every day gets on me nerves. We need rain, and sun, and everything else. Learn to appreciate it!

And if the only thing you can think to talk about is the weather, go read a damn book! Learn some new topics, or don't bother starting a conversation with me.

4 comments:

~AD said...

At the risk of sounding like an ass and making you not like me again, I'm giggling that you've complained about people complaining.

:)

Not in a bad way. I think it's cute. And funny. But, then again, I'm one of those who complains about the weather constantly, too. So. I think I'll go read a book. ;)

Truth-Monkey said...

Yeah, I did notice the irony. I'm a hypocrite at heart , I guess. :)

~AD said...

I have this theory that if you acknowledge that you're a hypocrite and at least pretend to work on it, then it's all good.

I also think that if you acknowledge that there are a lot of calories in something you want to eat, then you can eat it anyway, because calories only thrive in hiding.

It's just a theory.

Truth-Monkey said...

I have the same theory! (the hypocrite one). But the calorie one sounds good too. :)