Friday, May 29, 2009

Damn Internet!

I am terrified by how easily accessible people have become due to the internet. The Twitterverse itself completely freaks me out.

I love Neil Gaiman. I read his books, and watch his movies, and read books about him...I'm fairly obsessed. He's had a blog for a long time, which I think is great. He responds to emails from his fans. I have been totally intimidated by that for a long time, because what awesome question could I ask? It has to be the perfect question, because I don't want to be asking him things all the time, so I only get one chance. Therefore, I haven't sent him any messages.

And now there's Twitter. I follow him, and I see random people always sending him little notes, and he responds. This proves that he is really a nice guy, which of course makes me love him even more. But the possibility of sending him a direct tweet is even more terrifying than e-mailing him. Then you have even less space in which to pack a truly meaningful message!!

Okay, I realize I'm crazy. For one thing, Neil has no idea who I am and probably never will, so it doesn't matter what impression my question or comment makes. For another thing, all his interaction with his fans proves what a regular guy he is, and he probably doesn't want some weirdo woman obsessing in her blog over how to send him a message.

But here's the thing: A loved him. He's the one who started my obsession, by introducing me to the Sandman. A actually got an autograph from him, lucky bastard. But even so, in my mind it's two people's fandom that I'm dealing with. So a simple "Hey Neil, how's it going?" isn't going to cut it.

And the problem is, he's too accessible. Back in the day, I never would have had a prayer of interacting with my favorite author, and I could bitch about that and move on.

The other issue is that he lives in MN. And I heard rumors that he likes to go the Renaissance Festival in Shakopee. Every year I go and keep my eyes open, but no sightings yet. If only he'd have a reading and signing near me and I could go and be done with it.

3 comments:

~AD said...

Oh, I think you should Tweet at him that A loved his work and introduced you to it and that now you love it.

If I had written a book that got published, I'd love to hear a story like that. It would make me all warm and fuzzy.

When you get down to it, he's just a person, too!

Truth-Monkey said...

I know, but him being so normal and approachable is what makes him eve scarier! :) I'm working on it...

~AD said...

Just remember, he can't eat you! ;)