Friday, November 7, 2008

I love Queen!

A few weeks ago N and I went to see the Minnesota Orchestra play the music of Queen. They also featured a six member Finnish a capella group doing the vocals. Apparently they are huge in Finland, which I believe after hearing them. I believe the connection is that the current conductor of the orchestra, Osmo Vanska (there are some umlauds involved there but I don't know how to get them) is Finnish.

It was an amazing show. I love going to the orchestra, I love a capella music, and I love Queen. The trifecta. And it delivered, big. So much of Queen's music was written to be played this way, and the a capella group (Rajaton- Finnish for boundless) sang beautifully with the orchestra. They did get to do two songs a capella - Under Pressure and Don't Stop Me Now. Unbelievable.

I was just mesmerized the whole time, and when they did You Take My Breath Away the tears were just rolling down my face. I loved being there with N, and it was so wonderful that he was excited to go. It just really made me miss A, he would have loved it. Now that I've really been working on the memoir I've been thinking of him a lot. But in that king of moment, he'll always be with me.

No comments: